Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Blonde Bathroom Blunders

(This post is loooong over due, but thought I would share anyway!)

Although the hubs and I live in a house built in 1959, 
I would like to think that those that live in a 1980's, 90's or even newer (oh la la!) house also experience the dreaded clogged 
drain from time to time. 

We have two full bathrooms in our house, one on the main floor and one on the 2nd floor - this is the one we use most often. Our tub drain in this bathroom became clogged. So I tried Drano...twice. Didn't work. I would have rather flushed my $3 down our 1959 toilet. At least that wasn't clogged.

I couldn't bare the 3 inches of standing water in the tub anymore. Gross. I tried the home remedy of baking soda and vinegar. Didn't work. Then I tried shoving a hanger wire down the drain...thanks to Youtube. But that didn't work either. Then I tried the plunger about 999 times. Still no success. Wow, we are 0 for 4 at this point. We even borrowed my dad's drain snake (he's got every tool known to man - thank god). But thanks to our 1959 tub drain, it didn't fit. Wow, 0 for 5. 

This is what our bathroom looked like for 3 days...

Our last resort (before having to call my dad a plumber) was our wet/dry vac. Here is the hubs hard at work. 
After several minutes of "vacuuming", out came the gross clog! Who would have thought? Thanks to the hubs - my hero! So if you have a clogged drain and own a wet/dry vac...it's worth a try!


1 comment: