Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Annie Sloan Paint Workshop



Since moving to the 'burbs almost 3 years ago, my love for refurbishing and painting vintage furniture has grown, partly by chance but mostly by necessity. I gravitate towards shabby-chic/french country home decor which almost always includes painted furniture. After "winging it" for 2 years and pretending to know how to refurbish furniture and accessories, I decided to invest in my new found hobby. Last weekend I attended an Annie Sloan Paint Workshop. And I have to say that it was the best decision I have made in a while. 

I had no idea what to expect and honestly was terrified that I would be walking into a slew of other women who paint furniture and such things as a profession and thought that I had no business being there as an amateur. Well I was totally wrong. There were beginners, intermediate and professionals amongst me. 

When I arrived, the conference center lobby was decorated with all sorts of painted furniture.

 I had to remind myself that I was not in a store and that I was at a workshop because I immediately went into "shop mode".


These pieces were clearly displayed to inspire!


And also showcased all the different things you can do with 

Annie Sloan chalk paint.

Annie Sloan herself gave a talk in the morning for 2 hours on how she started painting, how her chalk paint product came about as well a lesson on "color". It was very interesting. Then we broke out into smaller groups and did some hands painting and learned all that chalk paint was capable of.




We painted a bunch of sample pieces using different techniques.
 


This workshop was WELL worth the time and money. 



Check out the dork in the photo below. Please, please keep in mind that I had only arrived back to the US from our trip to Italy 48 hours prior. I was running on adrenaline at this point, minimal make-up, and started off that morning at 6:45AM reading 2 Clifford books to my niece. Hey, I take my Aunt responsibilities very seriously!


Needless to say, I left the workshop totally pumped to paint and immediately started to repaint my corner cabinet that I realized I had painted COMPLETELY WRONG! Opps! 
More to come on that...stay tuned!







 

No comments: