Thursday, June 24, 2010

Adventures in the Burbs

Last night was a test to my sanity and ability to stay calm in freak-out-worthy situations. I was about to cook dinner when I saw something scurry along the baseboard. Oh crap! And from what I could tell it wasn't a mouse. Oh $h%&! And let me just clarify that I was HOME ALONE. So what is a girl to do when she's home ALONE with an unidentified scurrying animal in the house?! I was on the verge of freaking out but then my adrenaline kicked in and I was DETERMINED to capture whatever this thing was or else I was not going to sleep a wink that night. So I grabbed the first thing I saw on the counter, a bowl, and was on a mission to catch this thing.....
DONE. Ok, so now what?!
Solution: wait for the hubs to come home and make sure nothing moves or escapes from this bowl!
An hour later, the hubs comes home to a bowl on the floor with an unidentified furry animal inside...so the hubs grabbed a piece of flimsy card-stock paper and then a cookie sheet...and off to the back yard we go! MY HERO!
The anticipation was killing us both to examine what was underneath this bowl...only to find out, that this "thing" was already dead. YUCK!
From what I gather, this "thing" was a vole. No that is not a typo, a vole. I googled it. And google knows everything, DUH.

Here is the hubs (in business attire an all) tossing our dead vole into the bushes. YUCKEROONIES.
But wait, there's more. I found evidence near the basement door. That little vole chewed away the spray foam we used to seal a hole we discovered in the frame of the basement door. 
Looks like we will be running to Home Depot this weekend to find another solution to patch up this hole. One thing is for sure....life is always an adventure!

No comments: