Monday, June 21, 2010

The Weed War

I apologize in advance if I start sounding like a broken record, but....I swear with every weed I pull in the yard, 3 pop up in it's place. The area on the left side of our house is a jungle mess of weeds, dandelions and everything in-between. A few months ago I spent the better part of an afternoon clearing this area of all the out-of-control weeds. I even had a run in with Ms. Ivy who came back for some revenge (literally). But I was determined to win this battle. Only to realize a few weeks later the weeds came back with a vengeance. So I weeded some more, only to realize a few weeks later that this battle was a full on war. Needless to say, the area looked like this...
(BEFORE)
Pretty much a total embarrassment in my opinion. So the hubs and I were determined to win this war with weeds. So we decided to lay down landscaping fabric in hopes to suffocate and lock out those pesky weeds. It seemed like a relatively easy and cost effective solution. So we weeded one last time and started to lay down fabric - seen here....
Oh, and it's virtually impossible to tell in the photos, but it was about 95 degrees out, 80% humidity and we were dripping with sweat. Hence the hubs taking a break (or purposely turning his head to avoid my photo?). But after laying the fabric, we covered with mulch and and voila! Instant transformation!
(AFTER)
Looks like we won this war!
 

No comments: