Thanks to my wonderful mother-in-law (who is a great cook but would never admit to it) for giving me some pointers and her "easy" recipe for fried green tomatoes. Turns out I made the mistake of breading the slices of tomato with breadcrumbs on my first attempt which actually isn't necessary.
Attempt #2 of fried green tomatoes was successful!
They turned out pretty good!
I didn't deep fry them, just pan fried them. I basically need to wear a hazmat suit to deep fry anything because I freak out any time something splatters. I need to get over my fear of deep frying, seriously.
Here is my interpretation of my mother-in-law's recipe:
Joyce's Fried Green Tomatoes
Vegetable or Canola Oil (for frying)
Egg (whisked with a little water)
- Place about 1/4 inch of oil in frying pan. Turn on to medium heat.
- Slice the tomatoes (I did about 1/4 inch or smaller on slices).
- Crack an egg into a bowl and whisk with a little bit of water. In separate bowl, put a generous amount of flower with some salt and pepper to season.
- Take each slice of tomato and dip in egg and them dip in flower mixture to coat. Tap off excess flower.
- Place slices in hot oil and fry for several minutes, until golden brown. Flip each slice and cook other side until golden brown.