Thursday, January 26, 2012

Curtains & A Corner Cabinet Makeover With ASCP

We finally have dining room curtains! It's amazing how you get used to living without certain things...like curtains...and don't realize how the heck you lived without them until you have them! Does that even make sense?!
My wonderful and talented mother
 who is a master seamstress made these. 
And I LOVE them!
But there is one major problem. Our black corner cabinet now completely doesn't match ANYTHING in this room. 
I love this corner cabinet. It provides storage without taking away much space in the room. My mother-in-law gets all the credit for spotting this in an antique store and purchasing while the hubs and I were out of town. We've had this cabinet for several years - it moved with us from our condo to the 'burbs.

I was desperate to make over this cabinet so it would 
fit better with our decor. Solution? 
Annie Sloan Chalk Paint (ASCP) of course!

I painted the interior cabinet walls in ASCP "Duck Egg" blue and the rest of the cabinet in ASCP "Old Ochre". Here is what it looked like after 2 coats of paint. 

And here is a closer look at the inside. 
The blue is a bit bright. I know. 


The next step was to distress the cabinet. I cheated and 
used my new electric detail sander instead of sanding by hand. 
Then I put on coat of clear Briwax followed by 2 coats of
 Annie Sloan "Dark" soft wax.


I chose not to wax the interior of the cabinet. 
Here is the finished product.


The blue is still a bit bright but it's growing on me. 
What do you think?!?

No comments: