Monday, January 24, 2011

Sewing Introduction


Erika, this is a sewing machine.

Sewing machine, this is Erika.


One of my New Years resolutions is to learn how to sew. My mom has been sewing since before I was born. There are many pictures of me and my older sister in homemade jumpers and dresses and of course Halloween costumes galore! Once my sister and I were older, my mom even took sewing to another level as her 9-5 day job as a custom window treatment sewer extraordinaire.


More recently my sister has taken up sewing (among many other things) which was the final straw that really sparked my interest in learning this skill. AND the icing on the cake is that my mother-in-law is a sewer. I am surrounded by sewers!

My mother, being a sewer extraordinaire, bought herself the Cadillac of sewing machines a few years ago. It's a scary piece of machinery to a non-sewer. But, the funny thing is that she saved her old sewing machine, circa 1970-something. It's older than me! And much to everyone's surprise, it still runs but needs some TLC. She offered to give me this sewing machine to practice on and learn the basics. She brought it to sewing machine "hospital" and I should have it soon. I am tickled to have this hand-me-down that was once used to sew my baby clothes among other things. Stay tuned, this should be comical.



2 comments:

At Rivercrest Cottage said...

It's not as easy as they tell you it is. I made pj's for my daughter when she was little and the feet ended up backwards and I had to cut them off. yikes.

Erika said...

That is hysterical! I will be following in your foot steps I'm sure......