Friday, June 10, 2011

Chalk Paint!

Guess what came in the mail today? My chalk paint! Hello Duck Egg and Old Ochre. Where have you been all my life?

Let me back up for a second. The new "it" paint in the blog world is this Annie Sloan Chalk Paint. Not chalk BOARD paint, chalk paint. It's this paint created by a UK woman, Annie Sloan, that can literally be used on any surface. Apparently it distresses a lot better and easier than regular latex paint. I've mainly followed other bloggers using this paint on old furniture. It is recommended to finish off the paint with a coat of wax (instead of a polyurethane). The paint, distressing and wax give furniture an french country look. I'm all about french country.  

I have two pieces of furniture in our dining room that I am dying paint with this new chalk paint. Here is the corner cabinet...
We've had this cabinet for a while. In fact, my mother-in-law gets the credit for finding it for us. It was originally cream and I painted it black (back when we were living in our condo). 

And here is the hutch/breakfront cabinet that we got from our neighbor in the 'burbs...for free! Can you believe they wanted to throw it away?! Illegal. It was a dark brown color so I slapped some cream paint on it to spruce it up.....

I love both pieces of furniture but with them both being different colors, and with the new dining room table and chairs, I feel like  the room lacks any cohesion. You can sort of get the idea from this picture. 
I'm just not loving it all at the moment and I realize it's a work in progress and things are constantly involving. Plus, I know I need a rug in this room to break up all of the wood tones. But I think painting both the corer cabinet and hutch/breakfront the same colors will make things more cohesive. 

A special thanks goes out to the hubs for giving me this chalk paint for my birthday. What crazy person asks for paint for their birthday?! This blonde crazy woman does!

2 comments:

Tammy said...

I think I am going to be asking for an early present too! Have fun:)

katie said...

LOL! The hubs knows best!!! Can you chalk paint some stuff at my place?!